Ah 2011. 2011 was a rough year, full of happy stress (didn’t know such a thing existed until 2011) and heavy, hard stress. I had stupendous, loving times and horrible, tumultuous times. But I don’t want to talk about the times I had, both the good and the bad (yes I rhymed on purpose). I’d rather discuss what I gained.
But first, me in the last minutes of 2010:
While I know that’s me, the person above barely looks like me. I remember heading into 2011 with a lot of fear. I had some major events ahead of me, including quitting my job. The year started with me wondering how I was going to find it in myself to live up to all the things I had set out to do. While I started 2011 with fear, I ended it knowing I’m going to be okay, no matter what shitty shit life decides to chuck at me, and truly confident that 2012 holds wonders and joy I’ve yet to know.
So, instead of what I learned in 2011 or my resolutions for 2012 (which, in case you’re wondering,I have none; more on that later) I’d like to honor 2011 by listing 10 things I gained last year:
1. A born again sense of confidence.
2. A sweet hair cut (thanks Melissa!).
3. Peace of mind, even if it’s still somewhat fleeting.
4. An almost daily writing practice (thanks blog!).
5. Didn’t gain, but rather lost 2 inches on my waist.
6. A few more stamps on my passport.
7. Knowledge of certain weakness, and how to turn them into strengths.
8. A new kitchen table!! (Confession: I love my kitchen table.)
9. The freedom from needing to wear makeup that comes when you wear earrings.
10. A more focused view on what I want out of life.
Happy 2012! Here’s to a great year.